Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Come and Gone





Brandon and his wife Toni were able to visit us while he was on short break from a tour in Iraq. He has to go back for at least 4 more months. It was the first time that we were able to meet his beautiful and charming wife Toni. It was also the first time that he has been able to see Triton. Toni was a riot, she has a great sense of humor. She is a nosey parker though! She has terrific hearing and uses it to her advantage. She was able to understand my sense of humor and wasn't too offended? If she was she didn't let me know, she probably let Brandon have it after they departed? If I offended you in any way Toni, I am sorry. It is kind of weird how different they are from each other. I feel that she is kind of outgoing where Brandon is quiet. I guess that Sheri and I are different in many ways as well, so that is probably what holds us together. Hopefully that will also be an advantage for Brandon and Toni as well. I mean who would want to marry themselves?

Brandon loved Triton as I knew he would and Triton warmed up to Brandon much quicker than I thought. As you can see in the pictures there is no sort of hesitation by Triton to let Brandon hug and be around him. This was just after two days of being around him too. There are still people who Triton doesn't like to be around after seeing them since birth, so I was grateful that he let Brandon in. Brandon is he type of person who might take if to heart if Triton didn't like him. So, thank you Triton for realizing that Brandon is a good guy.

We can all be grateful for Brandon for what he has done for his country. He has served what will be close to 3 years overseas protecting our country. He has served in tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Thank you so much Brandon for not only being an example to everyone, but for also being a friend as well as a cousin.

Brandon is a bit discouraged that the Goodwin side of the family is so distant from each other. Grandma Goodwin had three children all boys. My father (Chris) Brandon's father (Paul) and Phil. Phil and grandma had a falling out many years ago and haven't spoken forever. Paul lives in Utah and only visits from time to time, but isn't as estranged as Phil. Until recently I haven't been the greatest of grandchildren, because before Triton was born I would only visit grandma on the odd chance that Brandon had leave from the Marines. I am still no great grandson as of now, but Triton and I have visited her more and more.

On this visit there was family drama, nothing too serious, but there were things that hurt Brandon while he was here. Uncle Phil and Paul were in a little drunken skirmish, but were able to makeup. I would like to think that I was a little bit of a remedy in that battle. After playing pool/darts at a local bar the booze must have gotten to them and there was an argument. They were toe to toe when I made the remark that they were being foolish for doing this while Brandon was here. Everyone was taken home by Toni and myself, since we were the only one's who weren't drinking, and everything was fine at the barbecue the following day. I am not sure if my remark helped in defusing the situation, but I would like to think that it helped. However
my remark might have caused Brandon to be saddened, because he told my dad and I afterward that he hates how the family only comes together when he is here.
He hates that Phil and Grandma never talk and probably won't resolve their pent up issues. Grandma wasn't at the barbecue simply because Phil was there (I guess)? Phil did show up and for that I am proud of him. Even though they are on their separate paths that might never cross again, he swallowed any pride, aggression or anger for Brandon. He was the bigger person on this day. It is sad that we make Brandon feel this way, but we were much closer this time than I believe we ever have been. Both Brandon and my dad are grateful that Triton and I visit grandma from time to time. I feel bad that I haven't visited her in the past, but I am very glad that she is able to see her great grandchild. We all wish that uncle Phil and grandma would have a talk, but even if that never happens I will never look down upon either of them. I love them both and wish them happiness throughout the remainder of their lives. As long as they are going
to be okay with the conclusion of the way things are after this life then what does it matter?
It was so mice to meet you Toni. Keep Brandon happy and stay on his rear end about stopping the smoking. Brandon stay safe and don't try to be a hero over there unless the situation calls for it. You might get shot in the buttocks like Forrest Gump if you try to save everyone! I love you Brandon. You know that you are more like a brother to me than a cousin.

No comments: