Friday, August 27, 2010

200? Scroll to see pics of Quinn if you don't want to read the novel

So, I have always told myself that I would never weigh 200 pounds or over! All my life I have ate what I wanted and for the most part I was able to keep the weight off. Senior year of high school I remember the year that I was losing muscle and definition. I never worked out other than P.E. classes in junior high and high school, but I seemed to have a nice flat stomach and yes I had a six pack back in the day. I never had large arms, but I could beat 99% of people in high school at arm wrestling.
A quick funny story about that is there was this kid in high school same grade as I and he knew that I was good at arm wrestling. At the end of junior year he said that he would bet me that he could beat me by the end of our senior year. He was a football player and I wasn't. He was popular and I wasn't, not that that has anything to do with the story, but he was the kind of kid who didn't talk to you because you weren't in the same social crowd as he. Thus he was a nice kid, and we ended up having the same class I believe throughout our senior year. I know we did for at least half our senior year. He and a small group of us trouble makers sat in the back. It seemed once every couple of weeks he would challenge me to arm wrestle. He was determined to win this bet. Well it turns out that he never could beat me and I hate to say that he never really put up that much of a fight either. I never really had to struggle to win a single match against him. You might think that just because he was a football player doesn't mean that he was that muscular. Well this is where the story turns in my favor and therefore I will always have something to brag about. You know at the end of the year when they have those dumb sayings about certain classmates like he or she is the most likely to become an astronaut, or he or she is most likely to become a serial killer. I remember some classmates had titles of what they already were in high school. Like maybe they had nicest personality or prettiest smile. This young man who will remain nameless for his sake was voted the biggest guns in school. Guns meaning his arms! He was huge and his arms were probably twice the size of mine. Arm wrestling is probably 60% techinique and 40% muscle. This is how and why I was able to win. The bet was a measly $5 and at the end of the year I told him that he better pay up. He didn't ever pay me! He mustn't have had the money. Some years later I was working at a bowling alley and he and his friends came in to bowl. I asked him if he had my money and he kind of smiled and laughed it off as he walked away and went to bowl. When none of his friends were watching he came up and gave me 5 one dollar bills! I thought it funny at the time. It is just a little notch on my I am better than the best belt.
Enough bragging and on to that notch in the belt remark. I have been gaining the pant sizes these past few years. I am not fat by any means, but for me I feel like I am obese. It is hard to think of yourself fat in this day and age if you are my weight when you can simply look at 80% of the people and know that they are fatter than you. Dang this country is fat! This does not mean that I am out of the clear when it comes to having good health though. Nor is an excuse to keep letting myself go.
I found out a little over a year ago that I am insulin resistant, which is a really nice way of saying that you are lazy and fat. A person can do minimal exercise and eat proper and never be insulin resistant or have diabetes. Of course there are the few cases in which a person that both exercises and eats correctly can become both. They are few and far between those lazy fat people like me. So, this last year after finding out that I was indeed insulin resistant my doctor asked what I wanted to do (eat better or get on pills)? I didn't want to take pills, but he suggested that we do it and see how it goes for awhile. I was on pills for 6 months and I went back in again. He found out that my numbers were extremely better and that I was almost out of the clear of any fright of becoming diabetic. A couple of numbers where a bit high still, but the overall average had me in the average safe realm. So, I haven't been back in almost a year (I have to go in sometime next month and it will be a year) and the first six months I still wasn't eating right. I was gaining weight and my excuse was the pills. I knew that they were helping keep my numbers down so why eat right? That is partially the excuse that I had for not caring what I was eating. The other is the fact that food is yummy! I love food and it loves me. Well, my pills ran out, they didn't run out exactly they just are going to cost a ton more than they have because of the yearly discount thing. So, out of nowhere (knowing that my pills aren't worth spending that much money) about a month and a half ago I decided to start eating better. When I had my insulin resistant test a gentleman there told me to get a book about dieting when being insulin resistant. I bought the book, but didn't really ever open it up. I kept it nearby so I knew where it was, but I never really cared (again because I knew that the pills were helping).
Six or seven months ago I was working out a bit and weighing myself here and there. I was at 198 the last time I weighed myself. I stopped working out and kept eating whatever there was to eat. I might imagine I got over 200? Who knows? If I didn't weigh msyelf how was I to know if I was over 200 or not? So, after eating a ton better this past month and a half I decided to weigh myself. I was wicked scared because I was afraid it would say 200 or more.
I weighed myself on our scale at home first because I know that it is a bit off. It said that I weighed 185.5, it was such a relief you don't even know! I weighed myself the next day on the same scale of course and it said 183. I knew that I had probably lost about 10 pounds even though I knew that the scale was off. I weighed myself at work (where I knew that it would tell me the truth and I was hoping it said that I was under 190) and it says I weigh about 187.5 pounds. It is way nice to be going the other way for a change. I opened that book and found some info and ideas on how to balance meals. The weirdest discovery in all of this is that I don't go to the fridge and see nothing. I don't go to the cupboards and see nothing. The same food is in there now, there is just so much of it. Before it was "there is nothing to eat" and I drive to McDonald's or Burger King. I go to the fridge now and see so much more food! Haha it isn't because I had already eaten it all in the past! With this diet book there are even certain types of food it doesn't matter how much you eat you can just keep eating it. This is the much larger side dish now that goes with my much smaller regular dish. I eat probably about a can and a half of vegetables a day with my meals.
Sheri's birthday was August 6th and we went to Olive Garden. I had a Caesar salad before my meal. My meal consisted of Chicken, Broccoli and Asparagus! Sheri looked at my meal when it arrived, saw me eating and she said "you are doing way good on your diet". I told her it really wasn't a diet now and that I eat more now then when I was just eating whatever. I really did surprise myself with that meal because the noodles looked so good on the menu. I did have a slice of her and Triton's pizza, but I didn't eat one bread stick! You know how good bread sticks are there too, all warm and tasty! So, I am doing good with eating better, but really haven't had that much extra energy yet. That will obviously come from working out, which is the next step/goal. I first want to see how my numbers are from the visit to the doctor. Plus the more weight I lose before then the less I will have to carry while on the treadmill.

Okay enough about me, take a look at my cute little baby girl. She is such a cutie (NOW)! Okay so those of you who don't know Triton was an oddity. He came out of his mom with no gross goop on him, he wasn't all purple and wrinkly like you see on the television when a mother gives birth to a baby. This actually scared me the first time I saw him because I was expecting to see a wrinkly, purple, gross goop all over him alien. Instead he comes out looking like he is ready to golf 18 holes with his daddy. It was the weirdest thing.
Quinn on the other hand was the exact opposite of Triton, she did in fact come out all gross and wrinkly! I for sure didn't expect her to come out like Triton, but I did expect a cuter baby! It is the meanest thing to say and I know a ton of you are going to think I am a horrible father, but I did not think that she was cute at all. I knew she wasn't a troll like some babies but she wasn't very cute right out of the wome. Not even for at least a month or two after either. I am not one of the parents who thinks that there baby is cute no matter what (obviously). Some parents you see their baby and they are like isn't he or she so cute? You are nodding, but in your head you are saying no, please keep this alien baby away. He or she might win the ugliest dog contest! Okay that was overboard and I didn't think Quinn was near that extreme. Look at her now though with her cute little smile. I hope my eyes haven't glazed over and all of you are thinking "keep that alien baby away from me"! I am imagining Quinn reading this when she gets older and just hating me for it! Oh well, I can tell her that I was an ugly baby. I know this from pictures and a few uncles have even told me that I wasn't a cute baby, and I am not heart broken about it! Anyway, blog over here is my baby girl at almost 4 months old.











No comments: