Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Josh moved ahead

With Josh's 787 two weeks ago he moved ahead of me for highest average on our team. He has a 199 which could drop a pin after this last week, but that will still keep him ahead of me for this upcoming week. I only beat him by 7 pins this last week and my average will probably remain the same 197.
Josh has never been a big bowler. I mean he bowled as a junior and subbed on our team here and there throughout the past years, but this is the first year that I found out that he really wants to do good. He only has two bowling balls. Many of you probably think that is one too many and for sure enough as many as you would need to be a good bowler? Well, I have thrown away a few bowling balls over the years and gave away a few as well and I still own 7 bowling balls. That is probably the lowest amount owned by someone who might be considered a decent bowler. If I were to finally get my average up to a 220 then for sure 7 bowling balls would be considered a low number. I have a friend that I have bowled with since 6 grade and he probably has over 50 bowling balls easily. He is one of the best bowlers in the city. That is not saying that having more bowling balls is going to make you a better bowler. There are a lot of balls that react differently since there are many types of oil patterns on a few types of surfaces as well.
Anyway after seeing Josh own them lanes that night he bowled that 787 I suggested that when he gets a new bowling ball someday he should get one that is more aggressive. The lanes that night were dry and tough. His equipment is old and I figured something new might help as well. Plus technology is always changing and a new aggressive bowling ball could give him more confidence as well if he could be more aggressive himself. Confidence is everything and if a ball can help him gain more of that then I am sure that he would bowl a 300 within two years.
I wasn't thinking that he would get a new bowling ball at least not until the new year. He sent me a link of a brand new bowling ball. He has three kids and I didn't want him to spend any money on a bowling ball. I told him to let me ask Mike (the friend with the 50 + bowling balls) and see if he had a bowling ball that he never uses anymore that might be good for Josh. Turns out that he did have something that wasn't too old at all and he ended up just giving this bowling ball to Josh and I paid for the ball to be plugged and re drilled to fit Josh. I wasn't impressed with the way that the bowling ball looked when I had to be the middle man in getting it from Mike and delivered to Josh. Josh got it back yesterday from my friend that plugged and re drilled it and Josh texted me informing me that the ball was pretty. I guess that Kevin (guy that drilled it) also resurfaced it and made it look all shiny and new. Josh now has a bowling ball that is newer than 8 years old and he likes it so far. He hasn't had a chance to throw it yet, but he thanked me for helping him save $180 since a new bowling ball is like $160 online and at least another $25 to drill. So that was my good deed for the season and maybe the year!

No comments: