Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mom Said,

So, the other night I am reading to Triton before laying him down for bed. We are sitting on the floor, Triton in my lap. I read a few pages and I notice that he is acting weird! Every time I turn the page, he grabs something invisible from the bottom left corner of the book and acts like he is eating it? At first I didn't know if he actually put something in his mouth, so I had to check. Nothing? I turn the page again and he does this for like 4 or 5 pages in a row. It took me a minute to realize that he was mimicking me! He was just doing it backwards! I don't know if he has seen Sheri do this or not, but that night I had to lick my fingers every few pages to grip and turn the page. It was just so cute, plus (not that I do this) he was making little chomping noises each time he did it. So, you can see why I wondered whether or not he had actually put something in his mouth. The little things that kids do.
I am not a person who reads a lot. I don't mind a good book, but most have to be recommended in order for me to read them. I am a wicked critic when it comes to movies, and they are only 2 to maybe 3 hours long. Thus, I would be mega upset if I had to read a book and find out that it wasn't even worth turning the first page. Last year my mom tells me to read "The Ruins" because it was so gross, bla blah. It wasn't a bad read, but wasn't gross at all! If people like my mom haven't been
watching Saw and other such gore fest movies, I can see how she might have thought it was a gross movie. Plus she is a wuss when it comes to gore. If there is going to be a gross/gory part in a movie and she can see it coming, she simply turns her head when that particular part happens. Like in the movie Ghost Ship, I remember plugging it in and knowing what she was going to do in the first 5 minutes. I predicted that she would turn away from the television when it was obvious what was going to happen to all of these people on board this ship. She did in fact do exactly that, it was so funny.
So, my mom tells me to read the Twilight series. I liked the movie, it wasn't too bad. I loved the way the movie was filmed and edited. So, I decided to do what the mom said and read them. The first book was fine, followed the movie pretty much the same. The main character "Edward" is a lot more likable in the book. Not that the actor in the movie is someone I don't like, it just seemed that he didn't talk all that much or show any emotion in the movie. In the book he spoke a lot more, and had emotions. I kind of liked watching the movie first and then reading the book because I was able to picture the characters from the movie. Of course had I just read the book before watching the movie I would have pictured the characters differently. With this series it was kind of better having them as their characters in the movie. I don't like one of the characters in the movie simply because of the way he looks. The character of Jacob in the movie reminds me of a tennis player that I can't stand. Thus, I hated the character of Jacob throughout the entire series! I don't think I would have liked him a lot anyways, but I might not have hated him as much as I did if his character didn't look like Rafael Nadal. If any of you have ever seen Nadal play a tennis match you would know why I can't stand him. He is a great tennis player, don't get me wrong, he wears capri pants though! He doesn't wear shorts, which is fine, if he wants to wear pants fine. If he wants to wear capri pants, okay more power to him! However he is always picking his butt! Millions upon millions of people watch this moron on the television pick his seat like he himself is going to the movies! So, yeah Jacob isn't a character that I liked in the books. I can't wait to watch the movies, but the book series is kind of boring. I liked the read, so thanks mom for telling me to read them. The story was kind of interesting and unique, but the author seemed to repeat herself time after time throughout each book. By the third book when something happened, you could basically predict what the whole next sentence/paragraph was going to say. That is the only reason really that the books seemed boring, because of the repetition. I read the last book in 3 days so it wasn't as if it didn't keep my interest. I also like the idea of reading them to simply find out what was going to happen. It will be a few years before all the movies come out, so it is nice knowing what happens. So, books have an edge up on that aspect of movies vs. books. However, that is simply because in this example the books were already complete. Many people waited forever for the 4th book to come out, so books aren't that far up on that scale either.
My favorite book "The Stand" was another one that I had the characters in my mind from the movie. There was a mini-series thing that aired for television years ago. I never watched but a few parts here and there, but I remembered the actor's. I am sure that my mom told me to read that book as well? I started reading it way back when, but never finished. I finally read it like 4 years ago and liked it a lot. I love anything that has to do with the end of the world! Reading the book, which is like 1100 pages or something? I can't remember. Anyway, when reading it you are like okay this is a long book. Well, once you are about 800 pages in you are wondering how in the heck is Stephen King going to be able to end this book with only 300 pages to go. It actually ends rather abruptly, but it is a good read for sure. It wasn't scary at all, and could have been at least 300 more pages longer than it was. I like Dean Koontz books, but those are kind of like goosebumps series, but for adults. I guess not even that much for adults. His books don't have explicit sex scenes or gory parts for that matter. His books all seem to be PG-13. Nothing wrong with PG-13 either. I just like his books, because they aren't ordinary. They are sci-fi, far fetched and not boring.
Movies that are out right now that are worth watching are Knowing and Inkheart. Everything else is pretty much boring. Watchmen, if you haven't read previous blogs is a waste, save your money! Out at the theater is Harry Potter, I liked it, but haven't read the series so who knows how my taste is on that. It was filmed and directed really well. The Proposal is hilarious as well.
Transformers 2 wasn't that bad, same as the first basically, but who doesn't like huge action sequences rumbling through the speakers?

No comments: