Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Close call

This last Friday night Sheri, Triton and I had a very close call. We had just left the house to go to bowling, Friday nights are our league night, when a moron tried to kill us! Okay not on purpose, but is was still a bit scary nonetheless. Less than a block from our house I was just about to attempt a left hand turn into an old abandoned parking lot. The nearest street light that we would have to go through forces you to sit at a red light for 5-10 minutes even when there is very light traffic. Thus, the reason that we were cutting through an old abandoned parking lot. The roads were still a bit icy so I was taking it slow. I was easing my way up to the entry spot for this parking lot when I noticed a car exiting the same lot. I slowed even more to make sure that the guy/girl wasn't going to just pull out in front of me. My turn signal was on and it was apparent that this person wasn't going to pull out in front of me so I proceeded with my left turn.
There was probably two car widths of area to the right side if someone where to approach from behind and want to pass. Any person who has a brain would know not to pass a person on the left hand side when they have their blinker on and are in fact beginning to turn left. Well of course if you can't see where this is going, that is in fact what this person decided to do. Out of nowhere this person came speeding up this hill on icy roads and tries to pass us on the left. He barely clipped the front end of the car. I think I put the car in park at that moment because I was assuming this guy would hit his brakes. He did not, and that was when Sheri said he was just going to keep going. If he had applied his brakes I would have gotten out and made the guy leaving the parking lot stay as a witness. However, when it looked like this moron who hit us wasn't going to stop I put it in drive to chase him down to at least get his license plate number. I pulled up about another 50 yards and saw that he was pulling into a gas station. I then stopped in the middle of the road again to flag down this person who was in a Neon (that was the car exiting the parking lot) so he could tell the police what he saw, but this idiot just drove off as well? It was apparent that everyone on the road that night was a complete donkey! So, we pulled up next to this guy who hit us and Sheri was already calling the police. This Hispanic kid who was probably no older than 22 comes over to my side of the car and is immediately asking how much. It was obvious that he didn't want the police involved. I speak a bit of Spanish and informed him that I was sorry, but we needed to call the police. I couldn't understand him because he was speaking fast and I only know a bit, but I tried to ask him why he was going to fast. He responded, but of course I didn't catch what he said. The police arrived and talked with me about what happened. The police officer only spoke a bit of Spanish himself so he didn't understand this other kid either. We then had to wait for a translator officer to arrive as well. They spoke to him and took down his side of the story. We were sitting in the car for almost 45 minutes when the officers had finally finished their report.
We were sitting there assuming that this Hispanic guy didn't have insurance and might even be an illegal. I mean why else wouldn't he want the police to come? The first policeman finally came over to our car and informed us that his story somewhat matched ours and that he was receiving the ticket. The Hispanic kid was in his sister's car who does in fact have insurance. We found out that this Hispanic person didn't have a driver's license. It must have been the reason that he didn't want us to call the police. I guess the kid who hit us told the officer basically what I told him but instead of passing us he was trying to make the same turn as we were! The officer then asked if that was what happened. I responded to him by saying he wasn't making that turn unless he was doing it at 30 miles per hour.
We had been in an accident just after we were married and that moron didn't have insurance so we of course had to pay to repair the damages to the vehicle. So, when we were talking about him not having insurance Sheri was getting pretty upset. She was saying well worst case scenario is we lose $500 because we would have to pay our deductible. I had to remind her that worst case scenario wasn't that we might lose out on $500, but that we were just blessed instead. I mean if I had started to turn a second earlier we might have all been injured including the baby that isn't here yet. A second earlier and the impact would have been directly at my door. The jolt would have probably given all of us whiplash. I for once saw the positive side of things. I am a pessimist for sure, but on this given night I actually saw the experience as a blessing in our lives. I of course was upset at the idiot who didn't know how to drive and it was apparent why he probably doesn't have a driver's license, but I was most grateful that nobody (even him) was hurt!

No comments: