Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How Did We Meet?

Recently I had written about my cousin Brandon who is in the Marines. I have never met his wife who is pictured below (Xmas in Iraq, post), not even emailed or spoken to her. I had requested her email address from Brandon, and once I had it, I emailed her. She of course seems way nice and asked how my wife and I met. I had planned on sharing that for some time and what more of a signal do I need?

It really isn't that special of a story, but to me it is. Just out of high school, I was working at a bowling alley. I didn't go to college because I was happy to be done with high school, plus I am a lazy bum. There were a few friends of mine that were attending classes down in Pocatello at Idaho State University who were also bowling with me on a summer league. One of these friends, I hate to say was a bit overweight, yet seemed to always have a pretty girl at his side. I had had my share of girlfriends, only one serious girlfriend in high school, but after high school I was planning to be alone. Not by choice have you, it was just nobody was keeping my interest for more than a week or two. Those who I know would keep my interest weren't showing any sort of reciprocating signals (Salma Hayek). From time to time these friends would come up and bowl on Friday and Saturday nights. On one of these nights I was working and they all came in. I was in the back of the bowling center repairing something that had malfunctioned, when they arrived. They had already retrieved their bowling gear and were walking down into the bowling area. I noticed that my co-worker was busy at the counter so I said a quick hello as they passed me on the stairs. I didn't notice the last girl with them as I turned to head up the stairs, and there I was face to face with (how can I say this?) yum yum? I remembered at that moment thinking, how does he always get the finest chics? I had thought that she was dating my slightly overweight friend who always had the prettiest girlfriends. She started showing up with those guys during league nights along with the occasional Friday or Saturday night as well. I would just admire her and think why him and not me. Reminds me of the song "Jessie's Girl", by Rick Springfield, maybe that is why that song is in my top five favorites of all time? One of the saddest parts of the story was the fact that I wasn't bowling good at the time, so I couldn't even impress her with my somewhat superior bowling ability. As if that is what girls look for right? Well, these were things that were running through my mind as I stole a glance at her any time I could. I don't think that I ever said a word to her, because I was mega shy when it came to girls, plus I still assumed that she was with this other friend of mine.

At Todd's house one day playing basketball in his driveway (Todd was this other guy's best friend and was also on the same bowling team), I finally summed up the courage to ask him if those two were together? He informed me that they weren't, and even admitted that he himself had gone on a date with her before. My hopes were lifted, as I learned that she wasn't with any of them. I told him to hook the two of us up, or to give her my number at least. No phone call transpired and no blind date was ever setup. This is where the story is most special to me. Even though we hadn't spoken to one another, for some reason I had the strongest feeling that her and I would be together. Be married even. How juvenile or crazy does that sound? Sure I had these same feelings toward Salma, but she still wasn't returning my calls. I remember one league night having a cousin of mine with me, and I told her that she (as I pointed to Sheri) was the girl for me. That was the first night that I had an interaction with her. As my cousin and I were leaving the bowling alley I waved to Sheri and she waved back.

Back in the driveway of Todd's house a few days later playing basketball, I asked him if he had given Sheri my number? He responded that he hadn't because it had slipped his mind. I told him to get on it and quit slacking. I still had doubts that he wasn't going to set us up, and it was going to be the last time that I brought it up. I was going to give up on the whole ordeal. It wasn't but a few days later, either when I was working or after a league night, that Sheri's friend had slipped me a note with Sheri's number on it. Word must have gotten around that I was interested. I called her, setup our first date and the rest is history. We were married on March 3rd, 2001 in the Idaho Falls Temple. About a year and a half after our first date.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......