Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Uneventful Week


Worked 7 days straight and took care of Triton. I work late night shifts and take care of Triton during the days while Sheri is at work. My birthday is coming up, and for those who have sent cards know that I haven't opened them as of yet. I decided to wait for my birthday to open up cards and gifts. Thank you in advance, but I will of course also call and thank you again when I open them.

Why did I work 7 days straight? Well, Sheri is having surgery tomorrow and I worked a few extra days in order to have the next 5 days off to take care of her while she is recovering. I did watch a couple of movies this past week. Let's see, what was it last week? "My Best Friend's Girl", so funny but vulgar for those who don't like the F bomb and a ton of sexual innuendos you will want to skip this one. If you think such things are funny, then by all means rent this one, it is hilarious. "Mirrors", with Kiefer Sutherland, not too bad. Only one scene was gross, but had a different story than I expected, so it wasn't too bad. Then just yesterday a few movies came out, but I only rented two, they were Max Payne and Saw 5.
I am not a fan of the Saw series because, hey, it was supposed to be over with 2 movies ago. I liked the 1st one, it had a great story and wasn't too gory. The second and third installments were disappointing simply because they weren't that gross. If a movie is supposed to make you cringe then that is fine, but if it isn't going to do that, it could at least have a good story. This is where number 4 comes into play. It, like 2-5, had no story line that was worth mentioning, but it had a grotesque feel to it and that was what made it tolerable. Thus we get to 5, it had a couple of gross moments like any of the others, but not as much as the 4th one, and of course it is the same old story. Skip Saw V unless you are like me and simply needed to watch it because you wasted your time on the last sequels. I am not a fan of the blood and guts, but I had to watch it. I can't stand watching a surgery on T.V. or even watching a skateboarder give himself road rash because they both make me cringe, but I can watch Saw, Hostel and other such movies. Key word is movie. Ever since being a child and watching scary movies my family pounded into my head that it is just a movie. That is all that it is, if you are in the middle of watching a scary part of a movie or a thriller that has you at the edge of your seat and you can't watch, all you have to do is tell yourself that it is a movie and you will be fine.
My cousin Josh and I do the same thing just before a scary part of a movie. When either of us are at a theater and we are viewing a scary film and it is obvious that there is going to be a scary part of the movie coming up, we clinch our teeth together. This is something that I have been doing ever since I was probably 15, but I didn't know that anyone else pulled the same trick. Why clinch your teeth together? So you don't accidentally bite your tongue! I don't know who I found out that Josh did it as well, but when I did I thought it was wicked funny.
Max Payne wasn't that bad wasn't that great either. I think that Mark Wahlberg is a stud, and he did great in this film, however the story wasn't that great. I imagine that the next movie, if they have one, will be better because this opener seemed to only have character development. I never played the video game so I guess I could be missing something, but that is what the movie lacked for me, something! If you like Mark Wahlberg rent it, if not then you can save your money.
Follow up on the poker blog "Man Blog" below. I had mentioned that my biggest loss was some 5 or so years ago of $270.00. It was just about then that I started to realize how bad my luck was. Anyone who knows how to play poker knows that luck is a small part of the game. There was an actual court case that went as high as the Supreme Court where a professional poker player received a ruling that poker is a game of skill. Those who don't know how to play or just think they do will disagree with that statement. I agreed and always will agree that poker is a game of skill, however I felt cursed. I knew a lot about the game and always got my money in as a favorite, but wasn't winning the proper percentage of times that I should. This is when the night of $270.00 begins. I was over at a friends house playing poker, when we decided to stop playing a live game and play online. I wasn't going to make much money off him maybe $5 - $10 and after that night I wish that was all that would have happened. He had one computer, but we played poker on two different sites so it didn't matter we could both play at the same time. He played a tournament with 50 people and I played a cash game on DoylesRoom (DR). Every hand he was involved in I heard "what should I do?", "what would you do?" I didn't mind helping him because he didn't have a job at the time and this was the only thing that was passing his time and making him money too. I became agitated when he won this 50 person tournament playing my style of poker, asking me every other hand what he should do, yet I wasn't winning at my own table! It was late and I left his house angry as could be at how bad my luck was, because he wins a 50 player tournament and I was stuck $20.00. Yes I know, $20.00 isn't the big loss. I went home, played a bit more online, and the rest is history. I basically gave away my last $250.00, bad play and of course bad luck, all because I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Thus, lesson for those who ever take up poker or any sort of money risk game, never play when you are mad. Never play when it is late and you are tired. I played maybe a total of three hours this week and took UB up over $20.00 and gained another $1 on PS. I imagine I could have won more, but once I am ahead I always quit. Isn't the smartest move, because you can usually win more when you play while ahead, but for now it is raising my confidence level and my bank roll. Slowly, but surely.

No comments: