Monday, February 8, 2010

Why Manning Sucks

I had to sleep through the Superbowl this year, but I did record it and was able to watch it at work. I also recorded the end of golf to see if Steve Stricker was going to hang on and win. He was able to do just that. I was able to watch the last hour of golf and then the Superbowl. I have to say that golf was probably more entertaining to watch. Steve Stricker is the man! I mean 5 years ago this guy was about to give up on the game of golf. He rededicated himself after losing his tour card in 2005 by hitting golf balls in the snow! He hit golf balls out of a back of a trailer in the winter months for practice. He was most improved player of the year two years running and is now number 2 in the world! He won his first tournament of the this year yesterday to move into the number two spot in the world. In an interview that was given by Stricker after sinking his winning putt on the 18th green, he was asked how it felt to now be the second best player in the world. The person that asked him this question did in fact talk about his struggles and how he did indeed practice out of the back of a trailer before that question. Stricker teared up and couldn't control his emotions as he explained how good of a feeling it was to see his hard work and dedication pay off. It is admirable to see a nice person like Stricker win.
Then I watched the Superbowl! It was pretty dang boring if you ask me. I really don't like Peyton Manning. Why? Because he is such a great quarterback, but can't win big games. He is a hundred times better than the worthless Tom Brady. Tom Brady! Now there is a person who fell into the right team at the right time. Everyone thinks that Tom Brady is a great quarterback and even talks about him like he is as good as Joe Montana! I hate to tell anyone who is a Patriots fan, but any quarterback in college or the NFL, heck maybe even a peewee league quarterback in the 5th grade could have made that team a winner. That was a great team and that is it! It wasn't Brady! He was a just a person to wear a jersey on that team. This brings me to the reason that I don't like Peyton Manning. I think he is one of the greatest and can in fact be in the same sentence as Joe Montana. However, he just isn't up to the task in the big moments.
He should have 7 rings instead of just one! Brady should have none! Manning just can't hack it in the big games! Brady for sure can't either, but he didn't have to because of the team that he was on. If Manning played for the Patriots and Brady played for the Colts for the past ten years it would be a much different story! Manning would have at least 7 rings. Had Brady played for the Colts for the past ten years nobody would even like the Colts! They would be a team that might win 50% of their games and would pray to be a wild card contender each year. Brady would have never have had a championship ring and people would have never thought he was great.
I watched last night's Superbowl and saw the Colts take a 10 - 0 lead and wondered how the Saints even made it to the playoffs let alone the Superbowl? I thought wow, maybe Manning is going to man up and be the quarterback that he should be! The Saints didn't play any sort of good defense the whole game yet Manning still couldn't win? When the Colts regained the lead in the 3rd quarter I knew that the game was over. I knew that if the Saints scored again that Manning would throw an interception. With the clock ticking down and the game on the line the pressure builds. When the pressure builds Manning folds, it has happened time and time again. It happened again last night. They were marching down the field again like they had all game and then Manning caved! He threw and interception and the game was over!
I haven't watched much football for the past three or four years and it is obvious why. People idolize donkeys like Tom Brady. Manning can't handle the big games and there just aren't any great quarterbacks anymore. Brett Favre used to be a great, but he hasn't had a team to play for except this past year. I liked watching Favre play this year. That is until his last throw! It was a rookie mistake that he made and he is 80 years old for crying out loud! Might have been Alzheimer's who knows, but it was horrible.
The NFL has been a joke to watch ever since the Patriots won their first Superbowl of the 2000s. Why? Because of Brady's tuck rule against the Raiders the the AFC championship game in the 2001 - 02 season! He fumbled the ball when struck by another player from the opposing team. The referees or whoever was paid to make sure the Patriots won that year overturned the call and that is how the Patriots of today became the best. You can easily say that it isn't Brady's fault! He was just playing the game and the referees made the mistake! That might be so, but would the Patriots have ever had been so great if they didn't receive the confidence they had by winning that Superbowl? I doubt it. This one bad call made it obvious to me that games can be fixed. I am not even a Raiders fan, but they deserved to win that game. This was the year of 9 eleven when everyone became a Patriot! Not on the team of course, but when the U.S. found out that we weren't invincible. Everyone in America united and for a short time. How fitting was it that the Patriots won the Superbowl that year? It was a bit staged for me. Players should be the ones that win or lose a game. A team shouldn't be robbed because their team colors weren't red white and blue. A team shouldn't be handed the one of the greatest trophies in sports just because their name is the Patriots. This is how Brady came to be. He was nothing but a puppet. He was a false idol for some 7 or 8 years, and it is great that he isn't anymore!
Okay sorry about venting on the NFL. It is time to vent on the fans now! I can't stand fair weather fans. Fair weather fans are people who only like the teams that are winning. It must be nice to be a fan of the Lakers, the Saints and the Yankees this year! Who will they like next year? We can only wait and see who wins to find out. I can't stand people that say they have supposedly been Saints fan for years. Especially when they were Steelers fans the year before and then the year before that they were Giants fans! People like that are a sad excuse for even being called a fan. My team is the Detroit Lions! Why would I even admit to such a thing? A) because when (in 400 hundred years) they are good I can be a person who can legitimately say I have been their fan for many years and B) they had the greatest running back of all time on their team. Barry Sanders was the reason I started watching and loved the NFL. He obviously played for the Lions and thus they became my favorite team. It is going to be real sad when these people that are fair weather fans say "I have been a Lions fan for years!" I know of three other people that are Lions fans in my city, so unless you are one of those three people you can't say it without proof! At least I can print this off and say, "Well, I have proof you fair weather donkey!" I can say I was their fan even though they never won a game in a single season. I was their fan when you were a Patriots fan you fair weather donkey! Barry Sanders pictured above was only 5'8" tall. He won the Heisman Trophy and was the only reason the Lions were ever in the playoffs. There has never been anyone like him in the NFL and I doubt there ever will be again. He would make moves that would boggle the mind. He was the greatest and he played for the Detroit Lions, my favorite team!
Sorry if you were bored on this blog mom, I just had to comment on football after the Superbowl. I probably won't have to ever blog about football again because it is obvious the way I feel. Unless someone can pay for the Lions to win the Superbowl I will think that the game is fixed! So, until then....watch golf!

No comments: