Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Knew It!!

Last Friday I was at work during the day for a meeting. I received a phone call from my mom shortly after the meeting was over. I asked her how her sex change operation was going. A week or so earlier I had called my mom and talked to her for a bit, but found out that she was busy. Too busy to talk to her own son? She informed me that she would let me in on knowing what was going on at a later date. That is where the whole joke about her having a sex change stemmed from. I was giving her a hard time about not telling me what was going on. After the normal opening greetings and pleasantries I asked her again how her sex change was going. She informed me the reason she wasn't able to talk very long on the previous call. It was because she was at the doctor's office. No, not really getting a sex change. She was in fact having a mammogram done because she had discovered a lump. I guess that two samples were taken for testing as well.
I was strong in the first part of the conversation, but after a few minutes I of course began to cry. Triton was with me at work because they had pizza at the meeting and he loves food. My bosses and other co-workers kept and eye on Triton during my phone conversation, which was really nice. Thanks to all that helped in watching my little monkey. My mom then informed me that results were due in on Tuesday.
On my mom's side of the family tragedy has been an enigma to us, and for that we have been blessed. My grandfather passed away some years ago, but he wasn't ever close to any of us grandchildren. My grandmother and grandfather weren't together but a few years after I was born. I have only have one memory of him. His own children were estranged from him for those last years of his life as well. Aside from him we really haven't had any sort big medical scares or deaths. My grandmother is a looney bin, and of course she has been in and out of the hospital, but anyone who knows her also is aware that she is going to tough it out. She is too stubborn to let anything take her down. Thus, she has never put a scare into me as far as losing her. Maybe this is why I was so calm when talking to my mom when Tuesday finally came around.
I waited until about 11:30am and my mother hadn't called, so I decided to call her. She didn't answer? I wasn't too worried, actually figured that she had already found out and didn't want to let me know yet. I guess she was on her way back home, and she isn't the kind of person who will answer her phone while driving. Thus the call finally came in, and she told me that her test was in fact abnormal or positive for breast cancer. I was surprised by how I was able to hold it together during this conversation. I didn't cry once. I didn't want to let her off the phone so that she could call grandma and let her know, but either than that I was strong? Nobody in our family ever has anything wrong with them? Josh (my cousin) seems to be the only one in the family that has had something wrong befall him, and that is because he was a crack baby. Not really, but I always give him a bad time over his ailments because, hey, I can. He has had a broken arm, broken clavicle, acid reflux which forced an operation to fix, but even those things are nothing. I was just giving him a bad time because nothing is ever wrong with anyone. I guess I needed to have my appendix removed this last year, but either than those petty things, this has got to be the worst news ever. I also knew that it was going to come back positive. I hadn't really thought or worried about it over the weekend, except the night after the meeting, but right before she told me on the phone, I knew it. I knew that she was going to tell me that the test came back positive. It sucks, and I guess maybe there is a reason that she moved to Seattle after all. She moved to Seattle some 6 or so years ago as mentioned in a previous blog. I believe that she moved there because of some man? He and her have since split, yet she didn't move back here. I guess there are better doctors and knowledge there than would be here, so maybe I can leave her alone about moving back, for now. That is until she overcomes this obstacle. As soon as you are well mom, you had better move back. I guess on the 24th she is to have a meeting with the doctors to discuss the best course of action to take. There was some good news as well. Only one of the two samples that came back was positive for cancer. The other biopsy which was taken from the lymph node came back as normal and therefore wasn't cancerous. I guess this is a way good news because the lymph node cancer can spread throughout the body. Waiting until the 24th for more news...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wow, I am really sorry to hear about that! That is very scary. She is strong and I am sure she will come out of this a survivor. We will keep her in our prayers!