Sunday, November 22, 2009

It Does Rain in Seattle

We found out that it does rain in Seattle. We visited last year in July for like a week and it didn't rain once! Upon arriving this time it didn't take but 30 minutes for us to see our first sign of rain. It rained most of the time we were up there, but nothing too bad. It only rained hard one time for like 5 minutes, the rest was a small drizzle.
My mom didn't look as bad as she made it sound like she was going to look. I was expecting to see a monster from the way she made herself seem. She was the same ole (not old) mom! It simply looked like she shaved her head to me. The dumb chemo is tough on nails as well as hair, so just those two things were the only thing that seemed different. Of course the surgery itself was the most obvious, her womanhood was gone (as she liked to put it.) She refered to herself as a man more than a few times while we were there! So there you have it folks, boobs make a woman a woman!
One piece of bad news that hit me the hardest was the fact that the doctors supposedly found traces of the cancer in the tissues that were removed from the breasts. I say supposedly because I hate doctors and I won't believe it! She is going to be cancer free and after her 6 weeks to two months of radiation, she is going to be cancer free. She is going to be healthy and return to her normal life.
We caught her up on a few movies that she hadn't seen. We rented Transformers 2, The Proposal, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Twilight, and of course (I Love You Man!) All good renters if you haven't seen, even the Ghost of Girlfriend's past. There were two that we rented that weren't that great. Taking of Pelham 123 wasn't that good at all, John Travolta was pretty dang good in it, but the movie itself Not! Then we rented Year One, it was dumb, but I expected that, however there were some very funny parts in the movie. The way that one kid delivers his lines cracks me up. He was also in Superbad and Juno? I can't ever remember his name, but he is hilarious. Jack Black was his normal self, but he is funny in a Chris Farley sort of way.
So, I have never seen a live Racoon! Not even in a zoo! Well, my mom has had these racoons that come to her house in the night and eat dog and cat food that she has on the porch. They have been coming for the past three to four months every nightl! I was stoked! Ready to see my first racoons had me going. I didn't get to stay up the first night very late because I had almost been awake for 24 straight hours after working the night before. The next night I was rested and ready, or so I thought! I don't know if it was the traveling or the Seattle air, but I couldn't stay awake past midnight. I retired to bed after waiting by the window like a puppy in a pet store for an hour in a half. I did see a possum! My mom chased it off, so that little enjoyment was gone after 30 seconds or so. It was the first time I ever saw a possum as well. They aren't too ugly, just their rat like tail is the only thing that is ugly about them. I guess some 20 minutes or so after I went to bed my mom tried to knock on the bedroom door to wake me and let me know that there was one racoon on the porch! I had gone to sleep with my IPod in my ears and didn't hear her, so I missed him. She said he was the only on that came that night and he was very skiddish! I don't care if he was running from gnats, I wanted to see him. The next night our friend the possum showed up again, and Sheri wanted me to wake her so that she could see him because she had never seen a possum either. No signs of racoons though? That left one last night to see them. I was tired again like all nights we were there, but I stayed up as long as I could and never saw my racoon! I never get tired in our home town like I did in Seattle? If it were here I would have been able to stay up until 2:00am easily and then probably struggle to fall asleep after that? However, in Seattle it was another story. I was tired and falling asleep waiting on the couch peering out the window long before midnight? It might be nice to live in Seattle for that reason alone (being able to fall asleep,) however even after sleeping I didn't wake up rejuvenated? I was pretty much tired the whole time we were down there.
Another thing that sucked was the fact that my mom's house was freezing! I need to sleep in warmth or I get sick. If I breathe in cold air while I am sleeping I am sick the very next morning. That is what happened too. I was sick the very next morning and have been sick since. So, I have been sick about a week now. It is stupid how my body is when it comes to breathing cold air at night.
The first night was the coldest, the next morning there was actually a layer of ice on my mom's car windsheild. We woke early and drove to a diner, Ruby's Diner. I suggested IHOP just because it was early and I didn't want to wake my mom. We snuck out, but of course woke my mom accidentally as we were leaving. I don't know if she was able to get back to sleep. We couldn't find an IHOP, but Sheri luckily spotted this diner! It was a way cool place. Setup 60's style and was very clean. The food wasn't that great, but everything else was way better than an IHOP. There were two toy trains that were chugging along on suspended tracks above the booths. I showed Triton both sets and as we were sitting down, the train that was on the big track fell! It landed on an empty booth accross the restaraunt from us, which is probably lucky for the owners. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen! I don't know what caused it, but the middle portion of the train (which only had an engine, one box car and then the caboose) simply fell! The engine raced on by itself at a much faster pace, but soon found itself stuck when it caught up to the stranded caboose standing alone on the track. Nobody was sitting in that booth, so obviously nobody was hurt. What are the odds? Would have been way wicked if it did land on one of us or even Triton! I would have raised a big rukus if it would have hit Sheri or Triton, but I think I would have only demanded free breakfast if it were to have landed on me? I am not a person who believes in suing a company just to get money, but if it would have struck Sheri or Triton on the head I would have had to pursue some sort of legal council. It is sad that more places don't put forth the effort in their decore as this place, but then again they might be thinking twice about leaving their train tracks suspended above customer seating areas!
That was our little Seattle trip in a couple of paragraphs. My mom didn't want us to leave and the day before our departure up to the second we left the car to go into the airport my mom kept saying "you don't need to leave!" I felt bad that we weren't able to stay longer and of course the time just flew by when we were there! It was really great to see my mom. I finally told her that it was the racoon's fault that we were leaving. They were there all the time except when I wanted to see them! I hope that my mom doesn't think that we were bored. I wasn't bored at all. Triton might have been bored if we didn't buy him some hot wheels. I forgot his power cord to his DVD player, so he had to watch movies on my mom's computer. I did feel way bad about keeping my mom up waiting for the racoons. She sleeps in the living room because her bed hurts her back. So, I kept her up waiting for the elusive racoons and then Triton would get up early and wake her up! So, I am so sorry for that mom! She kept saying that last day as well "you don't have to go, you can stay here another couple of weeks." Not sure if she wanted us to stay longer or was saying that she could only stand us for another 2 weeks period? I will miss you mom and hope to visit next summer.
Sheri and I went with her sister Crystal and Sheri's mom to see "New Moon" yesterday after I got off work. It was pretty good. I didn't like the book, it was the only one in the series that I didn't really like all that much. The movie moved faster than the book and only left out a few things that could have been shown, but weren't vital. Thus in my opinion the movie was better than the book. Everyone knows that I am a film buff over books anyway, but I have to agree that books can have more detail into a person's thoughts. Whereas a movie has a ton more detail in locations and visual stimulation. I did like the book better as far as Twilight and I imagine that the books from here on out will also be better, but as far as the second installment I have to go with movie!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I hadn't read like your last 4 posts. My blog didn't show that you'd updated for some reason! So, I got all caught up on what was going on with you guys!

CONGRATS on the new baby! How exciting! I was wondering when Triton would be a big brother! Good luck!

I am also glad to hear that your mom is doing well! It is good that you guys were able to go visit. I am sure she was so happy to see her cute little grandson!!