Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This Week At The Movies



I just finished watching two movies that were released on video this week. Slumdog Millionaire and Marley and Me. Let's start with Marley and Me, it was okay, really nothing special. You would think it to be a cute movie about a dog right? It really wasn't, it was basically about life, and that just seems boring to me? It is a good movie for young teens to watch. Young teens in love who think that life is going to be a cake walk just because they are in love...cough my brother Zack and his fiancee Elaine...cough. Excuse me there, heehee... Just kidding, Zack isn't that way. I know that even though he hasn't graduated high school yet, he knows what he is in store for. He is aware of how cruel life can be, he has had to take care of my dad for heck sakes.


Slumdog Millionaire was a great movie. It was superbly filmed and the story was terrific, but it too lacked something. Why it won picture of the year has to be the fact that people are looking for hope, and this is what this film offers a ton of hope. I guess with a lack of movies to compete with ought to be the real reason it won picture of the year. Nothing really stood out this year in movies, aside from Ironman or Black Knight, but how often do big money making movies win? Titanic has to be the last movie was a huge blockbuster that won best picture right? Slumdog Millionaire was a good movie, don't get me wrong, it just didn't wow me? The story and the directing was the best part of the movie. I love movies, and I have grown to look at a movie through the eyes of the director. I admire the way a movie is filmed, camera angles, sounds, music etc. Thus, movies that a lot of people hate, I think are great simply from a directing point of view. If Slumdog Millionaire won best picture of the year for that, then great, it probably was the best picture of the year.

Another movie was released yesterday, and it is a movie that I have been wanting to see for some time now. We rarely make it to a movie, the wife and I, so we are forced to wait for their release on DVD. This next movie is one that I of course wanted to see in theaters, but wasn't able to escape to see it. It is Seven Pounds with Will Smith. I am hoping to view that today and am hoping not to be disappointed with it. Not sure if I will get in trouble for soliciting, but if you ever want to check on a movie to see if it is appropriate for your children, or even sometimes yourself, visit kidsinmind.com. It will tell you ratings on violence, sexual content, and profanity. It even counts out the number of certain three and four letter words in the entire film.

On a more heavy topic, my mother went in for her 1st round of chemo this last Friday. She had a tube installed so that she might be fed the chemo week to week. She is also taking pills and with all that happened on Friday I didn't hear from her until an email on Monday. I called her Sunday to see how she was doing and no answer, called her Monday again and no answer. I then receive this email that says this chemo and/or pills she is taking caused her much irritability, so it might have been a good thing she didn't call. I do not want to have to argue and yell at sick person!! Joking of course, sorry mom that you were grumpy butt! You can call anytime, maybe call just to have us put Triton in front of the web cam, he might be able to cheer up a grandma who isn't feeling well. We love you and hope you are feeling better as the week goes on.

No comments: