Thursday, December 11, 2008

The IPod Story

This post is most likely going to be a lengthy one, so prepare yourself.
My mother moved to Seattle some 6 or so years ago. We hadn't been to see her, and she hadn't seen Triton since just after he was born. Sheri's father helped us out with most of our trip and for that I am extremely grateful, thanks Rick.
This trip was taken a few months back at the beginning of July. My mother's birthday was coming up, so we had bought her an IPod, it was a used IPod, but an Ipod is an Ipod. We gave it to her our first night there even though it wasn't her birthday. We weren't going to be there on her birthday and of course we wanted to see her reaction. She loved it and even said that it was the best gift ever. I have an IPod as well and this is where the story begins. I love my IPod, I take it everywhere with me. I have trouble sleeping and it helps me fall asleep, because I listen to it as I fall asleep.
The very next day (Saturday) we had plans to go to the aquarium and the Market. The day was great, actually the whole time we were down there it didn't rain once? I was wearing cargo shorts on this day, and for some reason I placed my IPod in the lower front pocket. This pocket was loose and hung open, so why I decided to put my IPod in there was beyond me. As you can see from the pictures below, Triton wasn't always in my arms. I didn't want to bring a stroller because I knew that he would just be in and out the whole time anyway, thus it was much easier to simply carry him. I was up and down with him the whole time at the aquarium, bending from the knees and waist. Triton was very good, no fussing and even though he didn't understand a lot of what he saw, it was clear that he had a good time. After the aquarium, like I said we were going to The Market.
Yes the place where they throw fish. I wanted to see it and that is the same question that I asked. We had to stop by the car to change Triton and repay for parking. During the course of walking I had been patting my pocket here and there to make sure that my IPod was still on my person. We walked across the street from the aquarium to where the market is, and upon walking no more than 50 yards toward the fish throwing guys, I patted my pocket once again. I didn't feel anything, instant panic fell over me. I knew that I hadn't checked my pocket in some time, and I distinctly remember hearing what resembled an object hitting the floor just around the time that Triton was by himself in the picture below, but I didn't look. What an idiot I was to not look. Heat and rage filled my body and I didn't mention anything to my mother or Sheri, because I didn't want to ruin their day. We walked some more, saw the fish throwing guys, but nothing was taking my mind off my IPod. I was in a hurry to leave and not long after we made our way back to the car. I thought of running back to the aquarium, but figured that my mom would want to know why.


.....I decided to just call the aquarium when we arrived back at my moms. I called a few numbers and found out that there wouldn't be any calls taken by a live person until Monday. All I could hope for at the time was that some honest person turned my IPod into the lost and found. I was even so desperate that I looked around the passenger seat of my mom's car to see if it had fallen out when we changed Triton, it wasn't there!
That night was grim, I was understandably moody and quiet all night, I didn't sleep well at all, because I didn't have my IPod to fall asleep to. I still hadn't told Sheri or my mom, for those of you who know my mom understands why I didn't. If I told her that I lost my IPod, the first thing out of her mouth would have been to take the one that we had just given to her! I had no doubt that she would not give in until she gave hers to me. Now if any of you have an IPod, it isn't just the IPod that is lost, it is hours and hours of downloading songs, making playlists, downloading movies and basically personalizing it to who you are. I am not a materialistic person and I was just going to cash out my online poker winnings to buy me another one when we returned home from our vacation. I was mostly upset over the time that was going to be needed to yet again customize an IPod.
It was the following morning (Sunday) and we had plans to go to the Space Needle and the Zoo. My mom was up all morning downloading CDs to her IPod asking how to do this and that. Asking me how many songs I had compared to her, those questions hurt let me tell you. We packed everything into the car for the day's activities and we were just about ready to get in the car when my mom asks, "Is your IPod still in the glove compartment?" Having no clue why she would ask me such a question I didn't respond, I again didn't want her to know that I didn't know where it was! I would just wait to make up a reason to look in the glove compartment or wait until she wasn't in the car to take a peek. I was instantly given the opportunity to look, because my mom had to run back into the house for something. I open the glove box with very little hope, because there shouldn't be any reason for it to be in there. Slowly dropping the lid down I see the most beautiful thing! My IPod was sitting right there?
I tell Sheri that I thought that I had lost it, and not to tell my mom. I couldn't contain my happiness and finally told my mom what happened and how my night was just horrible because I had lost my IPod. She felt so bad, because she thought that Sheri witnessed her place it in the glove box right before going to The Market. I guess that it had fallen out of my pocket when we stopped to repay for parking and change Triton. We were about to leave when my mother noticed it lying in the passenger seat. She of course knows that something like that shouldn't be sitting in plain site, so she placed it in the glove box. We recalled the whole ordeal over and over all morning because I was so happy and relieved.
My mom validated my reasoning for not saying anything. She questioned why I didn't say anything, and I responded "you know why!" She said "because you know that I would have just told you to take mine." I told her that is exactly why. The trip was very fun and memorable. I love you and miss you mom.

No comments: