Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas


Triton had his year and a half doctor visit this past Monday (22nd). 52-15-45, those are his standings out of the children born on the same day as him. He is in the 52nd percentile as far as weight, 15th percentile as far as height, and 45 percentile as far as the circumference of his head. Even though he is only in the 15% as far as height it is a jump. His highest standing before that was 11%, grow Triton. Sorry that was a bit cheesy, I meant, go Triton.
He isn't really fond of the doc, which is understandable, it seems every time he has to visit he is needing another shot for something. Triton doesn't say but maybe three words and as of now, his vocabulary should consist of 5-20 words. Thus the doctor suggested we get him ready to go to some speech therapy class in 6 months. Unless he starts spitting out three to five word sentences by then! I am not too concerned with him not saying much as of yet because he catches on to everything else super fast, it is just that talking thing that he is refusing. Whenever he wants anything he just grunts, probably my fault because I am not a vocal person myself. I have also been told by deaf people that when I do talk, I mumble? Of course deaf people are going to think I mumble instead them admitting they can't hear. My cousin Josh can understand anything and everything I say, which leads me to believe that he is the only person in the world that can hear. I am hoping that Triton's first three word sentence is going to be "I'm all in" or "I have the nuts." Just kidding, those who aren't familiar those are poker terms. I am hoping that his first sentence will be "I love you." His first word was mom, which he says all the time and it isn't a word that is just referring to the woman who gave birth to him. He says momma a lot when he is whining. He was saying "Whoa", for the longest time, then stopped. Tries to say "ball" here and there, and kind of mumbles "dada", so I don't think he is too far behind.
He understands a bunch of words of course, he just doesn't want to respond to them in a vocal manner. When he starts feeling tired and is in need of a nap, I simply ask him "nap time?" He then runs to the stairs, I remove the gate and he climbs the stairs, runs into his room and tries to climb up the side of his crib. We allow him to have his pacifier when he is sleeping, but that is the only time and has been that way for almost 6 months now. When he wakes from his nap, we take him out of the crib, hold him near his dresser and he removes the binky from his mouth and places it on top of the dresser. The reason I know that he understands a bunch of words is from that example. Sometimes he fusses during the day because he is hungry and I ask him if it is "snack time?", very similar to nap time, but when hearing this question he runs to the kitchen and looks in the cupboard where we keep his snacks. I always think that he is going to run for the stairs when I ask him that question, but he never does. He does try to say kitty kitty as well. I forgot that one. My mom thought that was the funniest one. When we visited her in Seattle just after Triton's first birthday, he would try to say kitty kitty, while peering out her window and seeing the neighborhood cats.
Merry Christmas to all our friends and family out there. A special Merry Christmas to my newly wedded cousin Brandon who is in the Marines pulling a tour in Iraq. Merry Christmas to all the soldiers that are serving this country, be safe this Holiday Season.

No comments: